Saturday, August 30, 2008

Whoohoo, I've Decided What I'm Going to Do With My Life!

After closing down my kitchen at 10:15 on a Saturday night, after a full day of cooking--the Chicken Cacciatore turned out amazing--a friend humorously pointed out, if all I do these days is cook for people and work out, how is it that I'm still single? (Especially given the fact that I fully intend on having sex everyday once I'm in a relationship.) Haha, my friend was right--isn't that every man's dream? ;) Ahh, well...

Now, about that Chicken Cacciatore...I started with a jar of Paul Newman's Cabernet Marinara sauce, which is my favorite--some of the others taste a little weird, I think. I let that simmer on the stove for about half an hour, and added some garlic, fresh basil leaves, mushrooms and onions. I peeled the meat off a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, and tossed it into a large pan. Then, I added two chopped onions, 10 oz. chopped mushrooms, a can of diced tomatoes and 3 tbsp. of olive oil. It was looking thick, so after it simmered for awhile, I poured in some chicken broth. It cooked it until the sauce started to burn around the edges of the pot, my favorite, and it was absolutely to die for. This will freeze well, and just get better and better as the week goes on. Can't wait!

So, apart from my cooking, I've been busy making a major life decision! ASAP, I'm going to apply to photography school at Ohio University in Athens, OH. I read awhile back about their School of Visual Communications, which sounds top-notch, and I balked at the fact that it was in Ohio. But, after visiting the website and being totally blown away by some of the student work, I read up on Athens. It's a cute little town, and by little, I mean the nearest Whole Foods, Target, and Ann Taylor Loft (the three stores I can't do without) are a little over an hour away...but that's ok. They have a cute downtown area and lots of outdoorsy things to do...Burlington, VT is echoing through my head. It's very dog-friendly, and they have a vibrant arts scene, lots of local grocery stores, farmers markets, shops and restaurants. Plus, Ohio University was rated by US News and World Report to be one of the top ten most attractive campuses in the nation, which is important if you're going to be taking a lot of pictures. Also, get this, in Ohio, they have four distinct seasons! I've heard of this...but haven't ever actually lived in a place that had them. DC this past year was just really cold...and then really hot. Oh, except for the rainy season. Well, that's actually not been so much a "season" as it has rained almost everyday, but that's not important.

Anyway, it's taken me a long time to realize that I want to do photography, and I know it's going to be a challenge to make a living at it, but that is something that working a desk job for the past six months has made me ready to accept. I don't like sitting around all day--being sentient. It sucks the life out of me. Not to sound depressing, though. I know this track will make me very, very happy and leave me feeling fulfilled everyday. I'm still planning to learn Arabic, as much as I can, and, as a photographer, as far as choosing places where I'd want to travel, my main interest will definitely be the Middle East and North Africa. I just won't be caught up in the racket of the Middle East Studies degree, which may or may not be useful in ten years, whereas photography is forever.

No comments: